Reiji "Rage" Itoh is a character from the Dance Dance Revolution series who debuts in Dance Dance Revolution 3rdMIX and returns for the subsequent games. He is a natural athlete, but he’s got a temper – hence the name. He’s out on the streets everyday bringing Japan’s traditional street food, takoyaki, to the masses. He wants to realize the American Dream and open up his own Takoyaki (a Japanese pancake filled with Octopus) restaurant. His friends are always saying how delicious his Takoyaki is. "We want more!"
Like Emi who helps her parents at their family's electronics store, Rage works part-time at his father's sake shop. He also hates any chores during his part-time. He likes Emi even as his partner and he has a heated rivalry with Izam when they fight for small things. Rage didn't want to go in their family business so he decides to left his home in Japan for the US all by himself to strike out on his own. He shares a room with a friend he made there. He holds several part-time jobs and dances on the streets as a local street dancer. He sells octopus dumplings, calling them the traditional Japanese delicacy. He was also chosen to be a backup dancer for a famous artist. Recently his Takoyaki business has taken off, so he is having trouble balancing between the two. Tonight is his first performance; he will bathe in the light of the stage.
Character and Personality Edit
Rage is described as a confident and brave person with a horrible temper (this is why his opponents including Izam hates him). Despite his temper, he likes Emi so much even as his partner up to EXTREME 2/STRIKE! and onwards during her Street Master Mode in DDR X where he wants to go with her in Disco's party but with his takoyaki stand as the latter tells him that anyone can look good on the right clothes which he replies that he didn't say anything after he was defeated by her. He also has a heated rivalry with Izam since his introduction in Dance Dance Revolution 4thMIX which he was determined to outdance him in the dance contest as both were fighting each other like cats and dogs with just small things until his last appearance in Dance Dance Revolution Party Collection. Their rivalry also shows in DDRMAX during the background video in every songs where he and Izam are performing the cartwheel stand and they are not looking at each other after performing this move, showing their hatred with one another. He can also predict earthquakes.
In DDR X, He also shows to be stubborn if someone doesn't buy his takoyaki as seen throughout his story (when he urges Emi to buy his takoyaki). He also hates to lose when other characters defeat him in a dance contest as seen throughout both Disco and Zero's Street Master Mode where he wants to have a rematch with either of the two. Especially, when other people are doubting on his cooking as seen on his story when he angrily mad at Bonnie from her doubtful questions after the latter say that there's nothing creepy inside the takoyaki that he was currently making.
Rage is portrayed at first as a street dancer with a temper - that's how he got his nickname. Later, from SuperNOVA up to DDR X, he shows that he is continuing on as a local street dancer and now a popular takoyaki chef. In DDR X2 and onwards, he was later seen as a back up dancer for the famous artist.
Rage appears as a young Japanese man with brown hair, brown eyes and a goatee. Before DanceDanceRevolution SuperNOVA, his hair was shoulder length which is spiked upwards. In DDR UNIVERSE he has a dark yellow highlights at the edge of his spiky shoulder length hair. In DDR SuperNOVA up to DDR X, his hair becomes darker and was cut short, although his hair still had spikes. In later DDR games, his hair is cut shorter and always covered with headwear (a cap in DDR SuperNOVA, a hood from his sleeveless hoodie jacket in DDR X, and a fedora hat in DDR X2), and the spiky hair has been lost.
- Rage's name is written as 伊藤 玲二 (Itou Reiji) in Kanji and いとう れいじ (Itou Reiji) in Hiragana.
- He is one of the few characters to be interviewed by Rinon on the DanceDanceRevolution X2 website.
- He was a character in the 2012 Konami E3 Battle, but lost to Contra's Bill Rizer and Lance Bean.
- Although not playable, he makes a cameo in the PlayStation 3 version of DanceDanceRevolution, appearing in the album art for Sweet Sweet ♥ Magic along with Yuni, Emi, Izam, and Akira. In Break Down! background music at the Japanese arcade version, the short cutscene between him and Emi are dancing in the first part of the song.
- He also appears as a dance cameo in DDRMAX and DDRMAX2 in his DDR 5thMIX outfit.
- He also appears in the Mekuru meku Dance★Party (メクルめくダンス★パーティ) puzzle image that unlocks Your Angel in DDR X2, along with Emi and Geisha Zukin.
- While he was shown in an early development screenshot of what would later become DanceDanceRevolution Dance Wars, he never appeared in the final version itself. He, along with Gus, Geisha Zukin, Jenny, and Zero, were the only characters from DDR X2 not to appear in DDR Dance Wars.
- In his debut appearance in Dance Dance Revolution 3rdMIX, he has big eyes similar to Emi's while in Dance Dance Revolution 4thMIX and onwards, the size of his eyes changed to his own normal eyes similar to Akira, Izam, and other male characters in the series (except Disco, Spike and Gus).
- In Dance Dance Revolution 5thMIX, his temper can be seen when the player's dance meter goes in critical state. In DDRMAX2 however, it has a screenshot where he loses his temper and tries to punch someone in his DDR 4thMIX outfit.
- From Dance Dance Revolution 4thMIX up to EXTREME 2/STRIKE!, Izam, Rhythm and J.C. are the only characters to dislike Rage due to his horrible temper.
- In Dance Dance Revolution 5thMIX, Rage appears in the caution background as his character appearance are doubled when it was shown.
- His given name Reiji is pronounced in Japanese as his nickname "Rage".
- In the Philippines, Roadfill one of the lipsync members of Moymoy Palaboy has Rage's hairstyle prior to DDR SuperNOVA which it was currently seen in local TV shows which is GMA's longest running gag show, "Bubble Gang" and other local concerts.
- Keishin Ukai from the anime Haikyū!! shares the same hairstyle as Rage from his alternate appearance in DDR SuperNOVA2. In his case, his natural brown hair is dyed in blonde but both sides of his brown hair are retained and his headband is white and black.